Computer Animation (BFA)
Statement of Purpose
The Computer Animation BFA program of study prepares graduates for existing and emerging career opportunities in computer animation. The program of study provides students with the balance of technical and conceptual skills necessary to become innovative, responsible and productive computer animation professionals. Students acquire the ability to create as well as produce in an innovative curriculum that emphasizes deep and focused study of communication through movement. This structured program prepares its graduates for existing and emerging career opportunities in computer animation.
Student Learning Outcomes
- Concept and Narrative. Demonstrate the ability to generate ideas appropriate to animation, turn those into appealing stories, and plan execution and feasibility for production in the 3D environment.
- Generate and refine effective and original ideas for the animated short.
- Create a linear narrative that demonstrates effective use of story structure.
- Plan animated shorts through the efficient use of the (preproduction) process.
- Solve conceptual and technical problems
- Principles of Animation. Apply the principles of animation to create expressive motion that brings design concepts and characters to life.
- Demonstrate appropriate application of the principles of animation in their work.
- Create a character that gives the illusion of having thought and emotion.
- Translate 2D concepts into 3D animated forms.
- Methods and Technologies. Successfully use the characteristics and capabilities of various animation methods and technologies in creative and project development contexts.
- Correctly utilize animation studio production pipeline.
- Demonstrate proficiency in utilizing specific 3D animation software.
- Effectively obtain or create and mix sound for the Senior Thesis.
- Knowledge of appropriate forms, formats, standards
- Professional Practices. Demonstrate knowledge of professional practices.
- Knowledge of professional practices in the industry.
- Assemble a portfolio, body of work and job application packet.
- Demonstrate good professional attitude and strong work ethic.
- Show an understanding of the history of the discipline
- Collaboration and Communication. Effectively collaborate and communicate with all members of teams at multiple stages of animation project development and in associated production processes.
- Collaborate with others
- Present and defend their work.