Transfer Credits and Placement

Ringling College will consider for transfer any liberal arts or studio art credit that meets our academic requirements and where a grade of C or better was earned from an accredited* college or university. Studio art credit will be awarded based upon the criteria above and a portfolio review. All of Ringling College’s studio courses are sequential and have prerequisites. Students have to complete the first-year studio courses before taking second-year studio courses; second-year studio courses before taking third-year studio courses; and third year studio courses before taking the fourth-year capstone/thesis courses.

Students are limited to a total of 66 semester hours of transfer credits. A minimum of 54 semester hours must be taken at Ringling College of Art and Design. The last two academic years of study for a Ringling College of Art and Design degree must be completed in courses of study within a major of the College. Ringling College of Art and Design reserves the right to decline credit for coursework that is more than 10 years old.

If you have taken Liberal Arts courses at another college/university, those courses will be evaluated by the Academic Advisors in the Office of Advising, Records, and Registration Services to determine if they meet the degree requirements for the Bachelor of Fine Arts or Bachelor of Arts Degree. The number of Liberal Arts classes completed has no bearing on your class level. Only studio classes determine your class level. Students enrolling with an Associate of Arts or a Bachelor of Arts degree from a regionally accredited college or university will be considered to have met the Liberal Arts requirements for the BFA degree. Please make sure you have requested a final transcript from all colleges/universities that you have attended so that you can receive the appropriate transfer credit.

Please note that admission to upper-level studies is contingent on space availability and portfolio review.

*Ringling College accepts liberal arts transfer credit from institutions that are accredited by:  Accrediting Council for Independent Colleges and Schools, Higher Learning Commission, Middle States Commission on Higher Education, National Association of Schools of Art and Design, National Association of Schools of Dance, National Association of Schools of Theatre, New England Commission of Higher Education, Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities, Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges, WASC Accrediting Commission for Community and Junior Colleges, WASC Senior College and University Commission. Other institutions accredited by agencies other than above may be evaluated through an appeal.